Re: More on Hosta Chewing Insects

  • Subject: Re: More on Hosta Chewing Insects
  • From: CCREDUX@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 23:48:36 EDT

In a message dated 6/18/2002 10:29:00 PM Central Daylight Time, abtrlife@earthlink.net writes:

CCREDUX@aol.com wrote:
Many people think they (sow bugs) eat only offal and rotted material, but, alas, no--they eat greenery and will take down an emerging hosta in record time!

Hmmm?  I have these wonderful little guys (ha-ha) everywhere, but have never noticed any damage.

Hi Karen,
I wuz in a Save The Planet Shoppe just t'other day in England and they had all sorts of alternative remedies for pests in order to prevent their doing damage in the garden. One potion was a "Sow Bug Alternative." You sprinkled it on the ground and the sow bugs eat it instead of the hostas, etc. People who use it call their sow bugs "wonderful little guys." O --what a coincidence! I see that you must use the product! (I did see a "Karen" on the registry at the place in Bloomsbury.)