Re: More on Hosta Chewing Insects

  • Subject: Re: More on Hosta Chewing Insects
  • From: "W. George Schmid" <hostahill@Bellsouth.net>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 09:15:19 -0400

Hi Karen,

Sow bugs (Porcellio laevis) look almost exactly like pill bugs (Armadillidium vulgare). Here in Georgia we have pill bugs by the gintillions but no sow bugs - so no damage. The pill bugs usually roll up when disturbed. Pill bugs do no damage, sow bugs are a well known, nasty household pest (yes they get into houses) and they will eat young plants and shoots. Pill bugs are ok. My children kept the rollie-pollies as a science project in school a long time ago. Their bodies are rounded and they roll up. Sow bugs have a flatter body and seven pairs of legs. They get somewhat larger than pill bugs - to 7/8 inch. The main differentiating feature are the two small tails sow bugs have at their rear ends. Pill bugs do not have these tails. So, no tails ok, two tails watch out, you have sow bugs and they'll eat your plants. Control is very difficult. The best is to dry up the area. Sow bugs must have moisture, just like slugs. I just thought this will help the poor pill bugs which are important in your compost piles.

W. George