Re: More on Hosta Chewing Insects and science projects.

  • Subject: Re: More on Hosta Chewing Insects and science projects.
  • From: "W. George Schmid" <hostahill@Bellsouth.net>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 13:26:16 -0400

Hi N,

The main lesson my children got from keeping pill bugs: Even lowly bugs need
care and maintenance. Lacking that they will croak. Good lessons for my five
kids for keeping all the turtles, birds, guinea pigs, and other critters yet
to come. The kids did learn this lesson well and we had a zoo at home until
they all grew up and left us to build their own zoos (10 grandchildren!).
Btw, sow bugs also show large antennae at the front end in addition to the
two short tails at the rear. Someone asked if sow bugs can roll up: They can
not. They are crustaceans and have gills through which they breathe. Lack of
water or moisture will kill them. WGS