hosta hardiness/need your imput

  • Subject: hosta hardiness/need your imput
  • From: SECK138@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 18:34:48 EDT

We all have had hostas that have not done well for us.  Myself I have given up on summer music, warwick delight, tattoo, fair maiden, white christmas to name a few.   The question is always one "Are all divisions of a hostas the same?  Can you have different aristocrats for instance?  A plant that does very well for me.  Is it location, soil conditions, light conditions, planting zone, or can it also just be that particular plant.  I am growing medusa successfully, a slow grower buy definately increasing.  I have heard others say that they cannot grow it at all.   Last year my split milk came in smaller after increasing for several years.  Why do some hostas thrive and others don't.  Some of these plants do not even look a like.  Any other opinions on the subject?