Re: hosta hardiness/need your imput

  • Subject: Re: hosta hardiness/need your imput
  • From: "Township" <township@acbm.qc.ca>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 19:55:08 -0400

I personally believe you can have "batches" of hostas that do not grow, perform no matter what you do.  I have finally found a few Great Expectations, after trying many over the last 6-7 yrs., that are doing great!
I also find that sometimes they simply need a couple of years to settle in, make roots and feel at home before strutting their stuff, in my case, an example would be ventricosa aureo marginata.  I got a nice huge piece from a friend that looked great, but this year (3rd.yr.) is unreal!
In the last few years, I find some come out of winter dormancy better than others, and there is no rhyme or reason as to their  behavior and in subsequent yrs. they catch up.  I think I lamented over the appearance of my old Green Piecrust 2 yrs. ago, saying the leaves were not as big as the yr. before.  Well last yr. she was a beauty, and this yr. half the clump is great the other half has baby leaves....time for some rejuvanation I think on her part.
Anyways, when it comes to new hostas, especially grown on from TC, and bought young, ya never know , is my thinking!  It can be a lemon or it can be gold!  They keep ya guessing all the time, and its great to have people to compare notes with as to their habits!

Smile
Barbara

mail to:  "township@acbm.qc.ca"