Re: Washed Stone Mulch

  • Subject: Re: Washed Stone Mulch
  • From: Alttara Scheer <alttara@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 15:27:33 -0400

Not direct experience, no, but I can say that down the street from me, a
house was sold and they did major renovations and landscaping, including
dumping truck-loads of rocks and boulders (piled 5-6' high) on top of a
bed of lancifolia. The pile was in place over the entire season, finally
cleared away about a year later, when they leveled the ground again and
seeded grass. Now guess what's growing up in their lawn?

For that matter, I had a truckload of fresh woodchips dumped on a bed of
pachysandra that had some old erromena and Royal Standard amongst the
pachy and weeds. That pile was there for nearly a year, too, the center
of the pile was ashy, from the heat generated when it was breaking down,
and once cleared away, I have some of the hostas peaking up again.
Granted, only small, so probably most of them rotted, but they were not