hostas go with?

  • Subject: hostas go with?
  • From: "Ann James" <annfree@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 10:14:12 -0500

Hi, all you experts with years of experience.  Since my initial hosta
planting last year evidently threw some seeds that hatched, I wonder if
hostas do well with azaleas.  Or the reverse, come to that.

The hostas I have are flourishing famously in the front shade bed along with
three trees, a shrub to hide the pump for the sprinkler system, caladiums
and the remnants of the previous landscape plan. Not to mention hellebores.
But they are flourishing so well that it's pretty obvious they will need
more space before long.

Also, most of them are blooming away and if the seeds catch so easily that I
have two unmistakable baby hosta plants, heaven knows what next season will
bring.

So, I thought if any of you, well maybe you don't even grow azaleas in the
frozen north, had put hostas in front of an azalea bed, you'd know if it
worked.  Or was effective.  Azaleas are smashing in the spring when they
bloom and boring the rest of the year.  Hostas are not boring, blooming or
not.

Ann James
Zone 8