Re: hostas go with?

  • Subject: Re: hostas go with?
  • From: HoroRL@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 17:05:23 EDT

In a message dated 6/28/2002 1:56:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time, annfree@earthlink.net writes:

I didn't know people grew azaleas up there.

Hi, Ann:

There are a few evergreen azaleas that we can grow but mostly deciduous ones...azaleas from Weston Nursery are especially bred for our conditions.  Weston bred the early blooming small leafed 'PJM' rhodie.  It blooms here is late April.  There's the 'Northern Light' series that are hardy here as well.  Lots of rhodies.  I collect Dexter rhodies that were bred on Cape Cod.  Most all are plant hardy, but many of the fragrant ones are not bud hardy.  Most of my collection have a bud hardiness of -10F or lower.  I won't even to attempt a -5F plant.

There's a variegated azalea 'Silver Sword' that's hardy to zone 6.  I know of some people that can grow it here.  I have tried it several times in different places but have lost it each time.

Rich