Evolution

  • Subject: Evolution
  • From: gw1944@vermontel.net (Glen Williams)
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 08:20:52 -0400

Frank:

I am an evolution junkie and your questions provide some wonderful moments
for speculation. You wrote:

Hello to All,

Why does Undulata evolve into different hostas?

 I have been re- re-reading Professor's Schmidt's hosta bible, and became
most interested in the ecological reasons for a hosta's structure and
habits. For instance, roots do not sink deep because of depth of mountain
soil, tall scapes when growing in tall grass, pruinose to reflect light,
etc. But these facts I do not understand:

Why Undulata changes?

If a dome shape wicks water away from the crown, why does a vase shape wick
water to the crown?

What purpose does rugose serve?

Why variegation?

Why seeds that have such a difficult time germinating in the wild?

Anyway, any insight on this matter, and perhaps your own questions on other
traits, would be greatly appreciated. Best Regards, Frank
**********************

Bobbi Diehl and I have a couple of those questions already out there ( for
THJ's Q & A column) and are hoping for the best. We are always looking for
sources for answers and informed speculation. So if any of you can give us
names of non-robin folks who might be willing to respond to our whimsical
need to know, please contact us and we will write nice letters asking them
to consider sharing their knowledge with us.

 Frank, we have added all your questions and we will see what happens. If
we get any takers we will let you know .

"Can devolution be far behind?" Geraldo Rivera
Glen Williams
20 Dewey St.
Springfield , Vermont
05156