Dream Weaver, Thunder Bolt, X-Philes

  • Subject: Dream Weaver, Thunder Bolt, X-Philes
  • From: gw1944@vermontel.net (Glen Williams)
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 14:21:59 -0400

I got H. 'Dream Weaver' when it first came out several years ago. Other
than it growing habit I would defy for anyone to tell this difference
between this and H ' Great Expectations'. My Dream Wevaver is a faster
grower.  I got two tissue cultured plants 3 years ago? These are much truer
to the original description of Dream Weaver. The plant is distinct. Perhaps
because  these are older than my two TCs of H. 'Thunder Bolt' they have the
overlapping colors that join the center yllow with the blue-green edges.
The proportions of color make it distinct from Dream Weaver. The Thunder
Bolts are still young, but show no overlapping colors. The center is still
distinct from the edges; no intermidiate colors yet. . last year someone
gave me H.  X-Philes. I am not sure of its ancestry but i sure looks like
a sieboldiana to me. This hosta is closer to Thunder Bolt han to Dream
Weaver. I also have some off-tpes of great Expectations. While the
similarities make for some confustion, there is no where near the confusion
of all of the H.'Strip Tease ' sports which are out there...and in my
garden. Many of these are much more than kissing cousins. In fact there is
serious incest in this family of sports. :-)

"Can devolution be far behind?" Geraldo Rivera
Glen Williams
20 Dewey St.
Springfield , Vermont
05156