Re: Evolution

  • Subject: Re: Evolution
  • From: "ranbl" ranbl@netsync.net
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 23:08:59 -0400

On Sunday, June 01, 2003 at 05:29:37 PM, hosta-open@hort.net wrote:
In answer to your question, yes I think in nature everything has a reason.  We simply don't always have the right perspective to understand.  There seems to be among gardeners , the thinking that the garden & the plants in it are there for our pleasure, but in fact ( hope this isn't to much of a shock)  those plants couldn't care less if you are injoying them, they live only for the purpose of interaction with other species ( plant and anamial) and to prepetuate the species.  Nature is lean and dos not waste anything.
You are right in asking how a vase shaped plant makes any difference.  All leaf petioles ( or at least almost all) are shaped so the top side of the petiole is concave.  It is very simply a conduit for channeling water from the base of the leaf , to exactly where it is needed at the root level.
Ran Lydell
Eagle Bay Gardens
10749 Bennett Rd.
Dunkirk,  NY 14048

> > If a dome shape wicks water away from the crown, why does a vase shape
> > wick
> > water to the crown?
> Hello!

> am I missing something? Vaseshape to me meanshence
> concentrating the water at one point?!
> Another thing: Does there have to be a reason for everything?
> >
> --
> Cheerio
> Marie

e-mail: ranbl@netsync.net

Do you VisualMail?

Grab a copy of the best WebMailer right now!