Re: Evolution

  • Subject: Re: Evolution
  • From: Marie hostas@gmx.at
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 17:58:46 +0200 (MEST)

> Marie
> In answer to your question, yes I think in nature everything has a reason.
>  We simply don't always have the right perspective to understand.  There
> seems to be among gardeners , the thinking that the garden & the plants in
> it are there for our pleasure, but in fact ( hope this isn't to much of a
> shock)  those plants couldn't care less if you are injoying them, they
> only for the purpose of interaction with other species ( plant and
> and to prepetuate the species.  Nature is lean and dos not waste anything.
> You are right in asking how a vase shaped plant makes any difference.  All
> leaf petioles ( or at least almost all) are shaped so the top side of the
> petiole is concave.  It is very simply a conduit for channeling water from
> the base of the leaf , to exactly where it is needed at the root level.
> Thanks

I understand that most things have a reason (not variegation though) - of
course a vase shape channels the water towards the crown and a dome shape
diverts it more to the outer areas of the plant.
Rugose leaves could mean a larger leaf surface hence more photosynthesis
area. But as I understand it (I might be mistaken) variegation (as we see in
hostas) is a mutation in the dna of the plant. Because of the decrease in
chlorophyll the plant would grow a bit weaker than the all green plants and thus
has a disadvantage and will not survive for long - being outgrown by others.
This is why you don4t see variegated populations of plants in natural settings.
Humans find it an advantage and put those plants in their garden. So maybe
plants are a lot "wiser" than we think. They use us for their advantage? After
all, many plants would naver have been that successful without humans
(fruit, grain,hosta??? ....)