Re: Tree help...they are too slow!

  • Subject: Re: Tree help...they are too slow!
  • From: "Karen B." abtrlife@earthlink.net
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 10:00:01 -0400

Alttara Scheer wrote:

What kind of feeder roots do willows have, I wonder?

Hi Alttara,

I don't know about all willows, but the large weeping willows (the ones the ordinary, non-gardener would think of when weeping willow is mentioned - don't know the botanical name) are a nightmare. I've heard what could be horror stories about their roots. They seek out any and all available water sources. I've heard of them strangling water lines. These big guys would put maple tree roots to shame!! If I remember correctly, the roots can go on forever. I would steer clear of this one. Hopefully, smaller ornamentals aren't so aggressive in their search for water.

Probably the safest thing to do before getting one is to find an arborist or someone who really knows willows and get the true story. Maybe you'll get lucky and my information is totally off track, therefore paving the way for you to get one of these lovely trees.