Re: Tree help...they are too slow!

  • Subject: Re: Tree help...they are too slow!
  • From: "Ann James" annfree@earthlink.net
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 11:01:34 -0500

Hi, guys.  We had a 100X132 lot in Houston, the south half of which had been
scraped clean and we had to start from scratch for everything.  So I made
outdoor bowers here and there, one around the small fish pond.

Then, right along our fence line, and indeed on it, a developer threw up
seven townhouses on the same size tract as ours, which had only a two story
1200 square foot house and a storage shed.  Needless to say, I embarked on
major tree planting.

One of the most attractive trees is the bald cypress.  I don't know if it
grows well very far north, but I had two of them and they were stunning.
Red maple grows fast, and so do shumard oaks.  Again, I'm talking about Zone
9 here.  I planted trees just about everywhere you could stick in a shovel,
trying to screen out the overlooking, three story townhouses.  They were so
close their balconies were practically over our fence, which fence they used
to attach their service area fencing for each townhouse that backed up to

This ruined the yard for me, and while it hurt to leave all those things I
had nurtured from scratch, I get to start all over here.  Well, not with a
clean slate, but I can wiggle a small tree or two in this lot, as full of
trees as it already is.

Leyland Cypress grows fast, too, if you like an evergreen that doesn't seem
to produce any pollen or throw various seeds or burs around.  Trees grow
faster than you think they will, at least down here.  We're in Zone 8 now,
barely, and it's a different world, but the trees still reach for the sky.

Ann James
Conroe, Texas