Re: Tree help...they are too slow!

  • Subject: Re: Tree help...they are too slow!
  • From: Betbarr@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 22:26:40 EDT

Alttera - I've been going through this "tree" thing for the past two years,
when my 40-year old "traffic stopper", which was a crabapple. bit the dust.  I
settled Monday on another crabapple (Malus "Profusion") when I went over to my
favorite nursery in the Berkshires and found a nice small clump type that
should give me the sort of privacy I was used to - you've been here, you know the
amount of traffic that rolls through this tiny village square! It was planted
with great ceremony on Tuesday, and it looks much smaller than it did at the
nursery but it will grow.   I ran the whole gamut of trees I would love to
plant, but this one has purple foliage (turning bronze, according to Dirr) and it
should be perfect with the cool wine of the front door on this little Federal
house.   Out in back I have a couple of cotinus shrubs that glow almost
orange as the late afternoon sun shines obliquely thru - here's hoping that I get
the same effect with this purple-leaved baby!

Here's one to consider - I was given a Halesia "whip" about five years ago -
it is a "see-through" tree - now about l6 feet tall, graceful and extremely
beautiful.  It's been blooming every spring since the day it was planted, and I
eagerly await the arrival of the 'silver bells", about an inch long, which
hang in profusion along the bottom of each branch., which reach almost to the
ground.

I would love a redbud but I think I am a bit too far north for it to hang in,
though there are a couple of very mature trees just north of Chatham - at any
rate, I tried it and it didn't hang around for a second year, so I won't do
that again.
Dirr describes a cotinus, tree form,  tht has purple foliage and a pink
inflorescence, which sounds interesting.

Keep us posted -

Betty Barrows
Kinderhook  NY - Zone 5