Re: [hostapix] Hosta growth or not?

  • Subject: Re: [hostapix] Hosta growth or not?
  • From: "malaprop" <malaprop1@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 20:36:18 -0700

Hi Rich.....

I am mostly in pots--the thick black nursery pots--with a hand full of
expendable hostas directly in the ground.

 I am absolutely amazed at what the feeder roots of my sycamore and ash trees
will do to get to fiertile soil and water.  I have learned to slightly move
every pot every 3 weeks.  I had situations where in 4 months the tree roots
invaded a pot, made it potbound by FILLING THE POT!!!  The hostas had shrunk
so much that I had to down pot them in to 1-gal pots, and in a couple of
cases, back into 3-" bands!  In my experience, tree roots are orange/brown,
whereas hosta roots are white/grey.

Those potted hostas that have a saucer to catch some excess water have no
trouble at all, and seem to like sitting in water.

Those hostas that were invaded now have had one year to recover, and they're
really still not up to what they were pre-tree-root invasion.

Here is a picture of the tree roots that was taken out of a 1-gal pot after
only 4 months of sitting near a sycamore!

mal