Re: Hosta growth or not?

  • Subject: Re: Hosta growth or not?
  • From: Len Phillips <lenphillips@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 06:19:33 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Rich,

I live on Boston's north shore and experienced the same problems as you
did on the south shore.  I attribute most of my missing or
under-performing plants to the very cold winter with no snow cover.  All
of my plants are in pots and always have been, sunk into the soil.  With
few exceptions all of them were growing in locations where they were doing
well before.

Several of the plants that didn't make it were varieties that I have been
having difficulty getting to grow well and to survive normal winters.
Perhaps these plants believe in the rule, survival of the fittest and
perhaps not all hostas are hardy to zone 5.  Just my best guesses!