Re: Hosta growth or not?

  • Subject: Re: Hosta growth or not?
  • From: NardaA@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 12:42:41 EDT

In a message dated 6/13/2004 10:54:14 AM Eastern Standard Time,
hostahill@Bellsouth.net writes:
Happens here all the time!
Due to drought, mostly.
They need water when WE are not looking in July/August/September.
By the time winter arrives it's too late for water. They are dormant!
Not enough water means not enough nutrient reserves build up in the rhizome
for next years INCREASED growth, so NONE comes. Too little water means not
That makes sense to me.  The two hostas that have diminished in size are my
mothers day Patriots from about five years ago.  When August and Sept arrive I
am usually occupied with back to school activities and just let my hostas
suffer.  They are somewhat forgiving, but now would be the time to pamper them in
preparation for next year.