RE: what affects hosta growth

  • Subject: RE: what affects hosta growth
  • From: "Jennifer A. Bishop" <jb@dataways.com>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 22:13:00 -0500

At 08:31 PM 06/14/2004 -0400, Mary wrote:
>The only reason that I began my hybridizing program was that I wanted
>something that would grow in the south. Many plants just will not survive
>here. In one way it was fun to find that once I have something that grows
>here it grows even better in the north but the  other side is when I go
>north and see the size of my plants there I feel like crying when I return
>home. At that time I stop to be thankful that we can enjoy what we have.
>Mary

Mary,

I live in Manitoba Canada where we can get -40 and often times without
snow cover early in the season, and then we get terrible springs with
thawing and then hard freezes again, our summers can be very hot for
long periods of time and dry beyond believe for a 2 or 3 weeks at a
time.  My growing season is only about 105 frost free days give or take.
This year we had 20cm of snow on May 13th and the hosta had already
started to come out of the ground and some had unfurled already
(because we had some nice weather in April and the first week
of may). We have not had more than a half a dozen days since May 9th
where the temperatures have gone above 22 deg cel and those have not
been all in a row.

I tell you these things about my extreme growing conditions so that
I might relay to you that your hosta are some of the best growing
hosta I have in my garden. I am fortunate enough to have about
20 of your named hosta and I added about 5 small new ones this
year.  They are absolutely beautiful, they almost glow right now
and because it gets so cool still at night we have almost no slug
activity yet so they are almost pristine in appearance.

Over the years Total strangers have come off the street and walked
through my  hosta beds and without fail  if I see them and go to talk to them
they will always point to one of yours and ask how I get them that large and how
beautiful they are.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Jennifer Bishop