Re: what affects hosta growth

Hi Jennifer, your reference to slugs is what got my attention!  I can
hardly believe it, but here in the western North Carolina mountains we
have absolutely no slug damage, and have never had any in the 14 years
we have been here.  We have low humidity most of the time even though it
rains (heavy) at least once per week. We have over 1000 different
hostas, and heaven only knows how many individual plants. There are many
clumps over 4' wide and one almost 6'. Visitors (mostly hosta buyers)
are simply stunned at the sight. However, even in this apparent hosta
paradise, there are some that just don't grow well here. It would be
nice if someone could, at last, find out why. Good luck to all,
John Lanier

--
MissVitro Plant Tissue Culture Laboratory
John and Laura Lanier