Re: unhappy hosta

  • Subject: Re: unhappy hosta
  • From: butch ragland wilddog_202@yahoo.com
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 02:25:19 -0700 (PDT)

Sounds like a root problem or voles which will eat the
crowns and cause the plant appear stunted because you
don't have all the crowns. I would think about a root
problem last summer after you lost interest and didn't
notice, causing the plant to not store enough food for
spring.

--- earthspirit <bdn7458@mailbag.com> wrote:

>  I got the following from one of my customers, and I
> don't have any idea
> of what might be going on with her hosta. Can anyone
> help? Jean Bawden,
> Madison, WI
>
> "Hi Jean, I hope you can help me with a problem I
> seem to be having with
> Sum and Substance.  I've had this hosta for years,
> without a problem.
> This year's growth appears to be halted or stunted.
> The pips emerged and
> some leaves have unfurled, but remain small.  Other
> pips are up about 2-3
> inches but remain unfurled.  The plant has been in
> this stage of growth
> for at least two weeks if not more.  I can't see
> anything that looks like
> a disease, virus or pest affecting the plant.  I am
> having a problem with
> cutworms this year, but not on this plant."

Butch Ragland
Jury Verdict Reporter
http://mail.yahoo.com