Re: Shipping Hostas

Butch

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you on shipping.  We ship our plants in
containers, well moistened and never dried out.  Have been for nearly 20 years,
and virtually never have complaints about fungus or rot (won't claim that we never
have complaints, but not about that).  Many of the plants I receive that have been
shipped bare root and have been allowed to dry fail to bloom the first year,
presumably from the stress.  And while I realize that few of us care much about
the flowers, it is the act of producing a flower scape that completes the life
cycle of the eye and causes the plant to multiply.  I know there are folks out
there that don't agree with me on this, but I maintain that if the plant doesn't
bloom, it's probably going to be a single again next year.  If you don't stress
the plant in packaging and shipping, it should bloom and multiply for next spring.

Chick
 www.bridgewoodgardens.com