Re: TC vs OS

> difference between TC and OS.  I buy most of my hostas from local garden
> centers and did not hear the term tissue culture or Originators Stock except
> for the forum.   Could someone give me some insight into what it is or where I
> can learn about it?

Well as briefly as possible Originator Stock refers to plants that are
divsions off of an original mother plant.  Naturally it takes a long
time to obtain any large amount of stock since most hostas don't
increase at an incredible rate.  Therefore to produce an adequate supply
tissue culture, a micropropagation technique is used.  A small piece
often from the bud of a plant is goes is processed,(I'm not very
familiar with the details) and is grown in an agar culture. This process
can provide hundreds or even thousands of plants in the time it would
take to get say a dozen OS plants.  What is being sold at garden centers
I would say is exclusively TC.  That isn't necessarily bad as long as
the person providing the plants can recognize a rogue, or off type and
remove it.  Problems occur when people with no knowledge of hostas
simply place markers in even if the plant isn't right.  I was at a
garden center this morning that had hostas marked as media variegated
which means center variegated, they were green with a white margin!
If you want to know more a bout try rereading the discussions from a
couple weeks ago in the archives.  It's a little tough to understand the
first time thru.