Re: hosta imports

Same thing here............................

When we first started to mass plant hosta for wholesale, we ordered 8 hosta
varieties, 100 crowns each,  from a Dutch importer..................just roots
of course.
Halcyon
Gold Crown
Wide Brim
August Moon
sieb Elegans
plantaginea
Royal Standard
Frances Williams

The next year we identified the plants as
Halcyon  >>>>>>>>>>  Halcycon
Gold Crown   >>>>>>>  Gold Crown
Wide Brim   >>>>>>>>  Gold Crown
August Moon   >>>>>>  August Moon
sieb Elegans  >>>>>>>  sieb Elegans
plantaginea   >>>>>>>>  ??? something between Royal Standard & Honeybells
Royal Standard   >>>>>  could not be identified
Frances Williams  >>>>  Gold Crown

We complained..............so three years from the original order we received
a re-shipment of (as roots of course)
Wide Brim
plantaginea
Royal Standard
Frances Williams

These were identified the next year as
Wide Brim  > >>>>>>> Gold Standard
plantaginea   >>>>>>>  plantaginea
Royal Standard   >>>>  Royal Standard
Frances Williams  >>>  Frances Williams

We gave up................we now only order hosta from known sources within
the AHS growers group........

.........and that is what happened to us several years ago!

The sad thing is we personally know of some small privately owned
hardware/garden stores that continue to order hosta bare root in the fall from
these same importers, potting them up in gal containers, and selling them the
next spring..........with no idea of what they are really getting/selling!
When you say something.....they don't care as long as it sells.

Bernie & Jane
LandMark Gardens
Nebraska - host for the 1998 AHS Region 5 conference(Jul 10,11,12)