Re: Botatincal Garden Project

Kdye1@aol.com wrote:
> Diane,
> For  a small hosta area with minis, couldn't you make a map of the garden,
> instead of using stakes?  Unless your purpose for marking is to educate the
> public, it would be a good way.  Even if it was for the public, you could
> enclose the map in plastic and have it on display next to the garden.  I have
> seen this done in bot. gardens before.
> Kay Dye, Edelstein, Il Zone 5
Great idea, Kay! I have thought of that, but don't know what the
botanical garden's budget or plans are, or even how permanent this
planting may be.  Plants get moved often there to make room for new, so
I'm not sure.  It's a whole new project, and all I've been asked to do
so far is make a list of 10 or so good mini hostas I'd like to have
planted there. I'm taking it upon myself to make up a planting design
  The Toledo Botanical Garden has a fantastic woodland hosta garden, but
only has a couple of "dwarf" hostas, and a few small ones. So this is a
whole new thing.
  The planting area is in a raised bed 3 feet high. The biggest problem
is that it's 23 feet wide by 12 feet to the center (a triangular area).
I think that some medium-sized hostas toward the center would be best
for the viewing level. Too many minis would get lost in the background.
  A planting "map" though, as you suggest,is the best idea. But they
will want markers for each type of plant if they ever get moved, or
divided. The ones they use now may be a little big for some of the
cultivars I'd like. (Masquerade, Tiny Tears, gracillima sp.)