Re: Can hostas compete with ivy?

At 06:17 PM 6/15/98 -0400, you wrote:
>If I stick to large hostas (my Blue Angel, Sum and Substance,
>Frances Williams and a few others need dividing next year) will they be
>able to compete successfully? I have heard that ivy is not compatible with
Hi, Gerry.  I have a small area that is overrun with ivy.  I ripped out a
portion, and planted polygonatum commutatum and H. undulata Erromena (the
Hosta weed).  By summer's end, the ivy was back, the P. commutatum was
engulfed and not visible, and the hostas were under attack.  I didn't
remove the ivy until this spring.  The P. commutatum was springing up
through the ivy, but the hostas were not able to force their way through
and were undersized and sickly in appearance; I took all the ivy out again
and the hostas recovered.  My feeling is that even the fast-growing and
tough Erromena would have been choked out by the ivy had it been left in
place.  Seems like the polygonatum would make a better ivy-buster.

Sheila Smith
Niles, MI  USA, Z 5/6