Re: Can hostas compete with ivy?

In a message dated 6/15/1998 5:21:25 PM Central Daylight Time, eoneill@ibm.net
writes:

<<
 Problem is that it is covered with a ground cover of a fairly aggressive
 English Ivy (No, I didn't plant it, it was a legacy from a former insane
 owner). If I stick to large hostas (my Blue Angel, Sum and Substance,
 Frances Williams and a few others need dividing next year) will they be
 able to compete successfully? I have heard that ivy is not compatible with
 hostas..

Hi All! Hostas will not compete with English ivy, in my opinion and
experience.
You could, of course, keep it at bay;but, the ivy is such an aggressive grower
it will be a constant struggle.

Clyde Crockett z5