Re: Nature vs. Nurture

Michael D. Cook wrote:
> At 12:50 PM 6/16/98 -0400, you wrote:
> Nothing turns off  the enthusiasm of the novice quicker than  technical
> >jargon they can not comprehend.
> On the other hand, it was a benefit to hear the scientific end of things -
> knowledge gained helps even the idiot such as me to make better gardening
> decisions.  I know there are some scientific types on this list...time to
> speak up!  Tell us what effect the drought-changing-to-monsoon weather is
> having on many of our hostas.
> Sheila Smith
> mikecook@pipeline.com
> Niles, MI  USA, Z 5/6
  I must agree with Sheila. If we want to learn about hostas, or any
plant for that matter, we must be prepared to study and learn at least
some of the technical things. (how to amend soil, what to use, what not
to use, and why; what is the sun/shade requirement of a particular
plant, and how plants photosynthesize light - these are examples).
  I took a basic Plant Science class at a local college last fall, and I
really learned alot. It actually INCREASED my enthusiasm for gardening.
  I'm still a novice, only in my 4th year of gardening (since I finally
bought a real house), and am still learning. The more I know, the fewer
mistakes I will make.
  Were it not for a novice's enthusiasm, no one would ever garden. We'd
all be "turned off". Weren't we all novices at one time?