Re: AHS Robin

At 10:30 PM 6/16/98 -0500, you wrote:

>why, I repeat why, would they close the list to non

Hi, Jean.  Because AHS is a private club...and along with those who wish to
assemble with those of like mind to share scientific ideas and knowledge,
promote the genus, display their photography, learn about uses of hosta,
etc., are those who need, sometimes desperately, to be part of an exclusive
group.  It's not too exclusive unless you exclude somebody.

I belonged to AHS briefly because I wanted the Journal - until I received a
couple of them.  Not like a journal, but more like a glossy newsletter.
The AMA has a journal.  The AHS has a (primarily) club-members publication.
 The AHS Robin had alot to offer, but unfortunately there was too much
jockeying for positions in the pecking order, sometimes amusing and more
often rancorous.  Many people were so emotionally involved that they were
having private, gossipy telephone discussions with certain board members in
an effort to oust their competition.  All this generated by an Internet
chat group.  I am sure that's where the idea of elitist behavior came from.

Our group is cordial and enjoyable.  There are so many gardening chat
groups on the Internet, I do not see why there would be any fear that an
AHS robin would kill openhosta off.  I myself belong to three other hosta
discussion groups, each having its own charm and character.  This is one of
my favorites.

Sheila Smith
Niles, MI  USA, Z 5/6