Re: transporting cut leaf specimens

In a message dated 6/17/1998 11:57:24 PM Central Daylight Time, Shishi@aol.com

<< i just student judged here in atlanta, and therre ws much concern over the
 amount of petiole to leave.
 my judge couldnt see the top of some laves with long petioles, and was
 hesitant to have the clerks move them about.
 we debated the proper length, and left it rather undecided.
 whats the  word here??
You cannot touch the leaf but you can ask the clerk to move the container so
you can see the top of leaf.  The container can be moved around by the clerk.
This is actually unfair to those who enter Giant leaves.
But not to worry! The judging is so arbitrary that it is as if you are
shooting craps if you win the Best of Anything.  I find it the most
disappointing aspect of the Convention. And believe me--the judges KNOW who
has entered what.
Dont put a big leaf in a small container. Dont cut off all the petiole of

I have judged many shows. NO ONE follows the rules!!
Clyde Crockett