Re: transporting cut leaf specimens

Shishi@aol.com wrote:

> hey clyde and all,
> i just student judged here in atlanta, and therre ws much concern over the
> amount of petiole to leave.
>
> my judge couldnt see the top of some laves with long petioles, and was
> hesitant to have the clerks move them about.
>
> we debated the proper length, and left it rather undecided.
>
> whats the  word here??
>
> ha 7a

  The word on petiole length is to cut the petiole as long as possible.
Cut it close to the crown of the hosta. That way, when you get to the
show, you can cut a little off of it ( a LITTLE), so that the leaf can
draw water from the container.
  The best way to transport them, is in a large, flat Tupperware type
container, each leaf layered between sheets of damp paper towels.

Diane