Re: best hosta potting soil

In a message dated 6/17/98 2:05:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time, briard-
hosta@kos.net writes:

<< Can the hosta be left in their pots year-round, or do you have to
 plant them in the ground for winter? What type of pots are you using?
 How big is this pot, measured in inches or feet.  >>

We're in the ALBANY NY area, (USDA Zone 4) and we do several pots of
HOSTA....Mostly in the 12-18" "URN" size.  We always overwinter the containers
in our detached unheated garage.  That way they are not subjected to the wind
chills of 20-30 degrees below zero on some cold winter days.  They need to go
dormant, stay cold (Basements are usually too warm!) and get watered
occasionally on warm days throughout the winter.

We are also selling 65 different varieties of Hosta (Mostly TC in 6" Azalea
pots) this year, and the leftovers go in a large coldframe after they go
dormant, at the end of the season. (Sorry no mail order!)  We layer them
between nice course red oak leaves for insulation and that works fine for
them.  I wish you luck in your endeavors.  If it works for you, the affect is
great.  I suggest you experiment with some less expensive varieties and save
the $50+ plants for after you perfect the method in your area!

If you have more questions, or are ever in this area and want to see our
garden (200+ Varieties of "FUNKIA" thus far) don't hesitate to e-mail us

Best wishes,
Dave and Christopher Jennings
Upstate NY Hosta Society Co-Founders