Re: THE AUGUST LILY

Marekmohr@aol.com wrote:

> IN REGARD TO YOUR GRANDADS HOSTA.....IT IS NOT PLANTAGINEA.....THE AUGUST
> LILY....WHICH ALWAYS BLOOMS IN.......AUGUST....

Agreed, it CANNOT be Plantaginea, as those flowers are white, I
believe. These flowers have dark purple streaks inside of the bloom
of a very light light purple/lavendar bloom.

I found a photo of Plantaginea (the August Lily) in the Aden book,
showing white flowers.

So I am still looking for a name for these oldtime clumps of my
Grandad's. Perhaps next season, I will be have to mail someone a clump
of this hosta. It was growing in 3/4 - FULL sun in my Grandad's garden,
so I have also planted it (last year), in sunny locations. I will be
getting more clumps of this nextyear and planting it near the back of my
yard to soften the look of the chain link fence.

But it would be nice to know it's name.