Re: Ground covers?

Patty Woodbury wrote:

> Hi, -
>
> Have just finished planting this year's selection of hostas and was
> wondering if any of you have suggestions for ground covers?
>
> I have sweet woodruff, lamium and Bishop's weed.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Patty
> MA, USA

Clyde suggests Lysimachia nummularia aurea (Golden Moneywort); Joanne
and I planted some because she liked its look, but it seemed invasive so
we grubbed it out.  If you have barriers (concrete, railroad ties,
asphalt), try it.

European Ginger is beautiful.  Shiny leaves!  Start some now, because
it's a bit slow.

Sweet Woodruff looks very nice.

Three more suggestions: Ajuga (seems to spread rapidly); ferns (we have
several patches of Ostrich Fern that are at least five feet high  --
well, that's a sort of ground cover!); and hostas,  That's right, hostas
are a ground cover.  Try a large patch of the same cultivar: a swatch of
Frances Williams in deep shade, a hedge of Golden Tiara, a oval patch of
Hosta clausa.  Try not to get carried away like I was: 1600 lancifolias
on a hillside!		Irwin Johnson