Re: Toads, Praying Mantis & GUESS WHAT

I am glad to hear that tree frogs are still around - they suddenly
disappeared from anywhere within hearing distance of my home about two
years ago.  Another species that disappeared is the Japanese Beetle.  We
have had them, sometimes by the millions and sometimes not so bad, for at
least 30 years in this neighborhood, then this year I have not seen one.  I
did find a withered grub while digging a new garden this spring, but that
was all.

It's not like I want the beetles back, but any time a whole species
disappears suddenly, it is frightening.  What might have caused this?  I do
not use any pesticides, and as far as I know, none of my neighbors do, with
the exception of one who gets True Green treatment for her small lawn.

Sheila Smith
mikecook@pipeline.com
Niles, MI  USA, Z 5/6