Re: Hostas in the woods

At 12:44 PM 6/20/98 EDT, you wrote:
>Have any of you had any experience with hostas planted in an oak woods, and
>receiving little, if any, direct sunlight.

Hi; here are some hostas that seem to thrive in no direct sunlight in my area:

fortunei forms Aureomarginata, Aureomaculata, and Gloriosa (is that
    still considered a fortunei?)
Any of the Tiara series, including Golden Sceptor
Aoki
Nigrescens
Gold Standard (but doesn't get as yellow)
Ginko Craig
Christmas Tree
sieboldiana, including Elegans
sieboldii and its various forms
undulata, u. Univitatta, and u. Erromena (but that one won't flower in very
    deep shade)
Golden Sunburst
Summer Fragrance
tokudama Flavocircinalis, Flavoplanata, and Aureonebulosa
Shade Fanfare
Love Pat
Allan P. McConnell

Ones that dwindle without some direct sun:

Sum and Substance
Patriot
Kabitan
Plantaginea
Aphrodite
Great Expectations
kikutii and k. form caput-avis
Buckshaw Blue
capitata
Summer Music

This is not by any means a comprehensive list, but I happened to have tried
these hostas in both exposures; note that I live in a northern latitude,
close to large bodies of water.  There are oaks close by and I haven't
noticed any detriment to the hostas that might have been caused by them,
but neither have I controlled for that factor.  Hope this helps.

Sheila Smith
mikecook@pipeline.com
Niles, MI  USA, Z 5/6