Re: Hostas in the woods

RonnieEA@aol.com wrote:

> Have any of you had any experience with hostas planted in an oak woods, and
> receiving little, if any, direct sunlight.  I am planning to extend my hostas
> into the wooded area of my yard, and they would receive some "dappled"
> sunlight in the mornings, (very limited) and only diffused light in the
> afternoon.,
>
> About 8 years ago I planted a number of Hosta Plantagenia in an area that is
> similiar to this, and they have not done so well.  They have few and small
> leaves, they  have not produced any new divisions, and it is apparent to me
> that they do not 'enjoy' their current location..
>
> So my question is, if I spend all this time grooming a trail through the woods
> with hosta plantings along the way, will they grow well, or will my time be
> wasted?
>
> If you've got some thoughts on the subject I'd appreciate hearing them.
>
> Thanks,  Ronnie
It is important to remember that there are great differences in minimum
light requirements, for verious hosta "types".  All the fragrant Hostas,
are derived from plantigenia, which is a relitlvly high light plant.
Most of it's "offspring" have the same high light requirements.  The
seboldianas on the other hand, will tolerate lower light condtions, as
long as the root compition is not to severe, and you can provide adiquate
moisture.
Ran Lydell