Re: Hostas in the woods

At 08:36 PM 6/22/98 EDT, you wrote:

><< The
> > competition between roots of the hostas and the brush will not be a
problem
> > since I have a nice little Troy Built roto tiller that fits nicely between
>the
> > plants and will eliminate the roots from the brush.
> >>

>IT HAS BEEN SUGGESTED THAT ROTO-TILLING UNDER TREES.....GET
>THIS.....STIMULATES THE TREE ROOTS.....IN A YEAR YOU WILL BE FURTHER
>BEHIND......
>
>OUR CANADIAN BUDDY, JOHN KEE, HAS SUGGESTED THAT YOU SIMPLY DIG A HOLE....NO
>AMENDMENTS.....USE NATIVE SOIL.....AND WATER GENERALLY [NOT JUST THE
>PLANT].....
>
>AM I INCORRECT JOHN????
>
>KEN

Tree roots (fine roots (< 5 mm diam), not the coarse ones) respond to
severing by proliferating vigorously..They also respond to "patches" of
nutrients in the soil by doing the same. So amending a planting hole under
existing trees comes with a double whammy..Not only do you encourage your
new plant to remain in that hole and not extend outward in search of
nutrients, but you stimulate rapid growth of competing roots into the
planting hole from the trees above.

Gerry