Re: Tell-Tale TC

Gerry O'Neill wrote:

> At 08:26 AM 6/23/98 -0500, you wrote:
>  >>
> >>Gerry:
> >   I am sure Joanne is right about the little sporting devils but there is
> >another reason too. If there happen to be some different sports that have
> >come out of the tissue culture  they may well  be worth saving. Remember
> >where 'June' came from. And many others. I just separated some 'Cherry
> >Berries' yesterday  which had what appears to be a very different sport
> >included. In only 5 years it may be something! Or not. :-).
> >
> >Glen Williams
> >>
>  Glen,
>
> Of course that raises an interesting question..If my Great Expectations (or
> whatever) throws an interesting sport and I remove it and grow it on and in
> five years there's enough to share with others, should I give it it's own
> name? Or is it forever "Sport of Great Expectations?"  Suppose I give a pup
> to someone, and I've given it a whole new name, and then later their plant
> throws a sport that is identical to the original Great Expectations? The
> new owner, not knowing this, gives his/her sport a new name, and now we
> have a plant that looks identical to GE but with a different name.
>
> All this seems to lead to unbearable confusion..What is the convention with
> hostas regarding naming of sports? seems that only new seed grown plants
> should be given unique names..
>
> Gerry

Dear Gerry,
  For hosta sports that occur naturally, they are put through the same
registration process as any other cultivar (whether from a hybrid
seedling, TC mutation, or natural sport).
  Grand Tiara is a good example of a natural sport that arose from
Golden Tiara.
  Most people will cut the new sport from the parent plant, and grow it
for about 5 years, or so, to be sure of stability. Then, you go through
the registration process with the AHS. (This is when you can pick a
name, if you haven't already).
  If the plant gets growth crowns that revert to the parent plant's
form, most gardeners remove those crowns from the plant. Some hosta
cultivars are more stable than others as far as reversion goes. But that
doesn't mean the sported plant isn't good.
  If, as in your example, you get a sport of Great Expectations, and
that sport sends out a new crown that is identical to GE, then it is
still GE and isn't re-named.
  Am I making sense (sometimes I wonder. hehehehe). Hope I've been of
help.

Diane