"wood ashes" - "egg shells" - "zineb" around HOSTAS

Has anyone heard of using "wood ashes" around the base of HOSTAS
to repel against pests (slugs, snails, cutworms)that create the dreaded
tiny holes in Hosta leaves.

How about "crushed egg shells" around the base of HOSTAS for the
same purpose.

Finally, has anyone ever used PTV dust on HOSTAS ? It contains
SEVIN-5% and ZINEB. It is the zineb I am wondering about. Just
thought it would be easier to just use PTV dust, if the zineb won't
hurt the Hostas. I have tomato plants, and I use PTV dust on them.

I have not been able to find SEVIN-10% dust, only 5%. Perhaps this
is all that is available in Canada?
peri, mailto:briard-hosta@kos.net, CANADA