Invasive Tree roots...

dash@rochester.rr.com writes:

<<  I dug bigger holes (to everlasting indignities
 to my back, right foot and right shoulder) through the tree roots, filled
 the holes with compost, replanted the hostas, and now, two years later have
 even worse tree-root problems. If I had thought, I would have lined the
 sides of the holes with plastic. >>
That's why it NEVER is appropriate to amend only the planting hole...the
roots from your Hosta also never really spread out either...they chose to
stay in the nice amended soil you provided for them...and then to make
matters worse, the tree roots got smart too and moved in!  The answer was to
amend the whole planting bend with organic matter, then run your good old
10HP TroyBilt through it as deep as possible (10-12") cutting back all those
invasive roots...then you could wait another 6-8 years before it would be
necessary to do it all again...NOW WOULDN'T THAT BE NICE?!

Loving this weather...rain again today, high of only 88-89 in the last few

Best wishes,
UNYHS President
Zone 4/5