Re: Slugs

Hello everyone:

This is Parwinder Grewal from Ohio state.  I just want to tell you that the
British slug control product called "NemaSlug" is not yet available in the
US.  The company apparently can not import this nematode species until we
find the same species to occur in the US naturally.  I have started a
search for this nematode here and have been asking for "Suspicious-looking"
slugs from the cooperators and growers from all over the place.  The slugs
infected with this nematode species has a swollen mantel (large hump on the
body) which is filled with the nematodes.  I request that if you find such
slugs please send them to me, so that I can identify the nematodes.  Then
we all have this apparently quite effective product in the US.

Parwinder Grewal

At 08:00 PM 6/2/99 EDT, you wrote:
>In a message dated 6/2/1999 6:24:19 PM Central Daylight Time,
>mike.groothuis@worldnet.att.net writes:
>
><< Any good ways to control them? >>
> I find that using Sevin (either 5% or 10%) serves double duty. It kills the
>cutworms and deters the slugs. Be very careful using the vinegar solution--I
>nearly killed 4 hostas using a 6:1 solution. Some people use an ammonia
>solution. Both of these require direct hits on the slugs, however.
> The best slug bait available in my neck of the woods is Spectracide
>Sluggit.Also, the paste is effective.
>
>There is a British product that is even better. It is Bio something are
>other. Perhaps it is now available in the states, but not in Indy.
>
>Clyde Crockett z5

Parwinder Grewal
Assistant Professor
Department of Entomology