Re: Need Information (hosta problems)

In a message dated 6/3/99 6:48:26 AM Central Daylight Time, RonnieEA@aol.com

<< I am not having any problems at all like that - except for 1 Tiara that
 quite a bit of sun - I'd say 3/4 full sun ) and it has 2 leaves that are
 nearly white instead of the golden color - and it is quite golden due to the
 sun it gets, but I do not notice them to be crispy or paper thin.  I live
 close to Cindy and about 30 miles from VIcky..  I do not believe my
 who has, I believe, in the neighborhood of 350 varieties, is having any
 problems either.

Hi everyone..such a puzzle.  Ron, I'm happy to hear that your hostas are
doing good. I talked to Debbie (a friend of Ron's and mine) and it's HER
theory that BEFORE the 10 days of rain, a very DRY period occured (which I
dont remember myself) which may have caused this problem.  She thinks we
should just water alot, especially because they are drying out again.  Debbie
told me about 2 different symptoms on her hostas.

The 1st is the same that we've been talking about here;  papery thin, almost
transparent,  places on some of the leaves.  Here's the list of Debbie's
plants with this condition:  Shade Master (which she says is planted kind of
high and dry), Zounds, Color Glory, Dupage Delight, Francis Willimas, Super
Nova, Golden Medallion (which she said is soooo bad she dug it up and hid it
behind a pine), and Birchwood Parky's Gold.

Another condition we've noticed on other hostas are the leaves cupped UNDER
with crispy brown edges.  Is this that drawstring effect that was talked
about earlier?  I thought that cupping was upward though.  The hostas showing
this are Lunar Eclipse, Peace, Carnival, and Brim Cup  (I've only noticed
this on my Brim Cup last night when I dug it up because a huge Angelica was
completely covering it).

Any theories/opinions/wild guesses as to what causes these problems, what to
CALL these problems, and what to do about them would sure be appreciated.

Cindy Johnson
White Bear Lake, MN
zone 4a