Alfalfa

Can anyone tell me if alfalfa pellets ever go bad for use?  I found a bag that was left beside the barn, well, maybe since last fall, and when I opened it, it looked like real good stuff, expect for some chunks that have turned white.  Is this o.k. to use around hostas?
Know some people use it for their hostas, and I know it does wonders for my iris, by never had this white stuff.
What do you think?
Merci
Barbara
Quebec, Canada