Re: topics

>You dont seem to get my message, my english must be bad.

I'm glad you said that, not me.  Actually, I do get the message - the
message is you don't want to answer my questions because you don't
have an answer.

>As long as you have not decided on the cotyledons further discission
>on other more elaborate (genetical) topics seem meaningless to me.

This fall when I get some hosta seeds I will study their germination.
IF you can provide me with some references and quote the pertinent
passages on this robin, then maybe I will agree with you.  I'm not
going to agree with you just because you say it's so.  You have to
prove it to me.  Now, Ben, for someone who is intelligent, the second
part of your sentence really doesn't make sense, unless you don't have
answers to any of the questions I've asked you.  For example, would
you please provide me with references to your statement that a mutated
gene can never have more than 99% of it's original activity.  It's
inaccurate statements like this that take away from the crediability
of your articles.

>Why not look in another book instead of the old Esau (a left-over
>from your time at the university?).

Good, would you please give me the titles of which books I should look
at, the page numbers that you say support your view and quote the most
important passages.  Is that too difficult to ask?

>You are right about allium, the seed coat is indeed attached to the
>cotyledon and it is exactly the same in hosta, easily visible if you
>dont cover the seeds

I can cover allium seeds a half in deep and the seed coat still ends
up two inches ABOVE ground at the tip of the cotyledon - NOT exactly
like in hostas.  Do epigeal lilies (genus Lilium) have cotyledons or
are the first leaves true leaves?

>If you are interested in some background to my rule of thumb you
>could read some of my earlier articles as these were destined for
>that puprpose

I HAVE read them.  They are full of the same shortcomings as your
current article is.  They make overly broad statements with NO proof
or other references to back you up.

>I dont have 60 but about 300 hostas....Last year I did make 2500
>crosses by hand half of them did set seed.  You still think I dont
>have experience?

Not with vegative propagation.  Hybridizing hostas isn't going to give
you the clues to understanding sports.  You need to learn how to
vegatively propagate hostas aggressively - there are some important
clues if you look for them.

You still haven't explained what vegetive seed propagation is.

Joe Halinar