Open Robins,

In addressing a post to more than a hundred hosta friends on hosta-open,
I am using a strange title for my post...awareness. Why this title?
Because I want to draw attention to a fact of cyberspace life which we
have seen for several days now on hosta-open. BUT SOME OF US ARE NOT

Two PhD Geneticists are discussing cotyls...monocotyledons and
dicotyledons. They are not able to agree upon the meaning of simple
botanical terms. They are not able to communicate with one another for
some reason. One will not answer simple questions asked by the other.

Is no one curious why this is happening? Most readers will probably
concur with me that the definition of a monocotyledon is not very
important in the grand scheme of hosta gardening. But the inability of
two scientists to agree on a definition is a sure sign that something is
amiss. Aren't you curious to know what that is?

Why don't even a few readers care about the issues raised in this series
of  posts on hosta-open? The issues raised are not about cotyledons
(that is a distraction from the real issue which relates to articles
written in the Journal by one of these scientists). One is asking the
other "where is your proof?"  The other refuses (or is not able) to
answer where the proof  lies.

If you, as a serious hosta gardener, are interested even just a little
bit in science and its importance to hosta gardening, you should be
asking the question too. So,  if by now, you have become just a little
more aware of what is being discussed, why don't you ask "Where is your
proof, Ben?. Why don't you answer Joe's questions?
We are all awaiting your answers."

Spokesperson for More Than a Hundred Aware Hosta Gardeners