Re: new hosta from root

In a message dated 6/8/1999 9:17:27 PM Central Daylight Time,
sussextreeinc@ce.net writes:

 This spring I had a small 'Spilt Milk' come up about 6 inches away from
 where the large plant had been last fall. I dug the small 'Spilt Milk'
 and found that it had grown from a piece of rhizome that I had missed.
 This piece of rhizome was about one-sixteenth of an inch in diameter and
 did not look at all like a Hosta root. It looked more like a piece of
 underground wire grass.

I find this to be a regular occurrence on some Hosta-especially those that
are semi to fully Stoloniferous. You can also have this occur when the plant
is planted deeper in the soil and the elongated stems root.