ANSWERS

As usual many step in if they can say something negative.
 Although I promised myself not to answers more questions I try this
one

> >As long as you have not decided on the cotyledons further discission
> >on other more elaborate (genetical) topics seem meaningless to me.
>
> This fall when I get some hosta seeds I will study their germination.
yOU HAVE NOT STUDIED THEM AND STILL" KNOWS" I AM WRONG!
tHIS EXACTLY GIVES YOUR LEVEL OF DISCUSSION
I DID STUDIED GERMINATION LAST YEAR IN DETAIL

> IF you can provide me with some references and quote the pertinent
> passages on this robin, then maybe I will agree with you.

I DID GIVE YOU REFERENCES INCLUDING PAGE NUMBERS EG THE
 BOOK ON PLANT BIOLOGY ( 1997) OF RAVEN I WILL NOT DO IT
 ALL OVER AGAIN

 I'm not > going to agree with you just because you say it's so.  You
have to > prove it to me.

THERE IS A DIFFERENCE IN STYLE BETWEEN A SCIENTIFIC ARTICLE
AND AN ARTICLE  FOR A HOBBY JOURNAL BOTH I HAVE WRITTENMORE THAN 50
TIMES
 Now, Ben, for someone who is intelligent( THANKS), the second
> part of your sentence really doesn't make sense, unless you don't have
> answers to any of the questions I've asked you.  For example, would
> you please provide me with references to your statement that a mutated
> gene can never have more than 99% of it's original activity.
I DID NOT USE 100 PROCENT AS NOT TO CONFUSE IT WITH WILDTYPE  It's
> inaccurate statements like this that take away from the crediability
> of your articles.
NO MATTER WHAT I SAY YOU WILL NOT BELIEVE ME ANYWAY

> >Why not look in another book instead of the old Esau (a left-over
> >from your time at the university?).
 Good, would you please give me the titles of which books I should
look At, the page numbers that you say support your view and quote
the most
> important passages.  Is that too difficult to ask?
NO BUT IT SEEMS TOO DIFFICULT FOR YOU TO LOOK IN ANOTHER
 MORE RECENT BOOK ON PLANT BIOLOGY
> >You are right about allium, the seed coat is indeed attached to the
> >cotyledon and it is exactly the same in hosta, easily visible if you
> >dont cover the seeds
>
> I can cover allium seeds a half in deep and the seed coat still ends
> up two inches ABOVE ground at the tip of the cotyledon - NOT exactly
> like in hostas.
 IT DOES NOT MATTER OR THE COTYL STAYS ABOVE OR BELOW
 SOIL LEVEL
Do epigeal lilies (genus Lilium) have cotyledons or
> are the first leaves true leaves?
lILIUM HAS A SINGLE COTYL LIKE HOSTA BUT I DONT KNOW HOW
THEY LOOK LIKE

> >If you are interested in some background to my rule of thumb you
> >could read some of my earlier articles as these were destined for
> >that puprpose
>
> I HAVE read them.  They are full of the same shortcomings as your
> current article is.(PROOFS?)  They make overly broad statements with NO proof
> or other references to back you up( PROOFS?).
>
> >I dont have 60 but about 300 hostas....Last year I did make 2500
> >crosses by hand half of them did set seed.  You still think I dont
> >have experience?
>
> Not with vegative propagation.  Hybridizing hostas isn't going to give
> you the clues to understanding sports.  You need to learn how to
> vegatively propagate hostas aggressively - there are some important
> clues if you look for them
MOST/ALL THESE CLUES CAN BE DERIVED
 FROM MY BOOK ON SPORTS.

I AM NOT A HOSTA SELLER, I DO RESEARCH ON HOSTA,
 SO I DONT NEED AGGRESSIVE METHODS

> You still haven't explained what vegetive seed propagation is.
THIS IS A MISTAKE/MISPRINT MADE SOMEWHERE,BUT

MAYBE NEXT TIME YOU CAN COMMENT ABOUT THE MAIN
MESSAGE OF THE ARTICLE: IDENTITY /SIMILARITY OF SPORTS
 INSTEAD OF NICKPICKING

ps WHERE  DID YOU PUBLISH ALL INFORMATION GLEANED
IN 20 YEARS WITH AGGRESSIVE PROPAGATION?

> Joe Halinar
BEN ZONNEVELD WHO  KNOWS FOR SURE THAT THE FIRST LEAF
 IN HOSTA IS NOT A COTYL

Ben J.M.Zonneveld
Clusius lab pobox 9505
2300 RA Leiden