Unstable Hostas

Several remarks have been made on this robin about hostas that seem to
change.  I have quite a few Francee and Gold Standard that I
propagated looking for sports, and found a few, but there are so many
others that are not really sports, but they look different.  I
hesitate to sell them because I'm beginning to wonder just which ones
are the true types.  However, Charles Purtymun probably has the hosta
that sets the record for changing from year to year.  It's just a
seedling and nothing special.  One year it will have a large white
center with a green edge, another year it will have a small center and
some sometimes its almost all green, and some times the same plant
will have all the different forms in the same year.  If Ben were smart
he would figure out that this is a clue to figuring out why hostas
sport so much.

Speaking of Ben, has he abandoned hosta-open?  I'm still waiting for
him to quote the pertinent passages from the book that he claims
supports his view that hostas have true first leaves and not
cotyledons.  He may be correct, but he sure doesn't make it easy for

Joe Halinar