Re: bog gardens

My main growing area is 2 X 12 treated lumber with roofing rubber liner.
I've been growing this way for 7 years without any problem. The plant crown
is above  the water level and each year I add 2-4 inches hardwood mulch. An
added note about PH, hardwood is about 7 to 7.4 PH and I've never noticed
any problem.

If your concerned about water in the winter put in a drain. Also watch
fertilizer applications which I'd recommend reducing by 7/8 or apply at a
rate of 1/8 recommended strength, I've never used timed release in this
area because it can release all at once under some conditions.

At 12:45 PM 6/20/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Bill and Butch,
>  Keep us all posted on this.
>   I lost some hostas a couple of years ago by not raising the level of the
>growing surface above the "bog." Using wood chips sounds real interesting.
>John Dash
>Fairport, NY
>z5 but really 4

Butch Ragland So. Indiana zone 5